Friday, January 8, 2010

Arkansas Legend: Jimmy Driftwood

Though I have no story of having met Jimmy or experiencing hearing him play personally, I understand, to some degree, his lasting influence on countless generations of musicians and non-musicians. I would LOVE to hear your stories below in the comment box. From here out, I will basically just post videos of Jimmy from Youtube. These are the only opportunities I have had to "get to know", if you will, the man Jimmie Driftwood. I've enjoyed every one!



Of course, one of his most famous tunes. I can't remember if I first heard Doc Watson or Johnny Cash







This next video is of particular interest to me. I've always enjoyed fiddle playing and Clark Kessinger as one of the best! This video is of Clark playing at the Newport Folk Festival with none other than Jimmy Driftwood introducing him. The energy Clark puts into this tune is rarely matched today. Not to mention the knee knockin!





It's fun to listen to him tell stories. This next one is perhaps his most famous tune, perhaps made most famous by Johnny Horton recording the tune. The Battle Of New Orleans was written to the tune of and old fiddle tune called The Eighth of January . Turns out, that's today!




Happy 8th of January!  One last video of note:




Have you met Jimmy?

More on Arkansas Artists below:
1.)  Fiddlin' Tim Crouch
2.)  Mountain View, AR
3.)  Top 9 Arkansas Fiddle Events 2009
4.)  Arkansas Fiddle and Strings Camp
5.)  Posey Hill Bluegrass Band
6.) Contra's in Arkansas



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What the dong?

Andy said...

I grew up in Stone County, Ark and graduated from Timbo High School in 1970. Jimmy was a nice man, hospitable and generous, but became somewhat controversial due to his efforts to promote the area... and due to his natural inclination to showmanship. I performed regularly at the weekend hootenannies in the courthouse in the 1960s-- until the Folklore society decided to ban the 'longhairs.' No hard feelings on my part, only pleasant memories.